Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Surveying Scotland: Go with the Flow... Disclaimer: You may not view this blog with "Parental" glasses on. I am alive and safe. (#4)

Please note: A lot of the pictures in this blog are from our trip to the Edinburgh Castle the day following the one I chose to write about in this blog. It was very educational- promise. We did much more than eat, wander, go out, and sleep in the hostel (although nothing is wrong with doing only those things, I suppose). I chose to write about those things to address the pleasant and unpleasant experiences I have had for a cultural blog.

Our 24 hour Edinburgh experience was both action-packed and fun-filled. This was our first trip sans-Ruth (Commander Benander). I am sure she enjoyed some time without us to be footloose and fancy-free in Bronteland. We, in turn, also got to be adventurers on our own and have to pay attention to things such as when to get off the train, how to get to our hostel, what time we need to be where, etc. I feel like I pay attention a lot more when I know I am in charge of getting myself around (for instance, the first day or two we were here I think I followed Josie to the bathroom twice when we were going back upstairs just because I had assumed, incorrectly, that she was going to our room). I feel very comfortable getting myself around Europe's transportation systems; I just tend to not pay as much attention if I am being a follower.


When we got to our hostel, there was a woman from Germany and her 5 year old sharing our 6 person dorm. This would not be my most ideal situation (I am really enjoying my summer sans-children), but it definitely wasn't horrible. I got to talk to her a little bit and found out that she was traveling home after being on a 5 week experience where you work for a family and they give you lodging and food (which she told me is a cheap way to go abroad with children). We then met up with everyone for dinner and tried haggis (Dad would be proud). THANKFULLY, it did not come in the traditional intestines casing (phew), and was mixed with oats and put over potatoes. I can officially say it is not awful, but I was thankful that Josie and I had ordered goat cheese on toast and fish & chips as our main meal.


After dinner I dropped off my bag in the room and went back out with some of the group (wasn't tired and knew I couldn't read in bed without waking up the small child...). We walked around and took some funny pictures. Earlier we had seen some women walking around with pink bras printed on their t-shirts (we also saw one with a fake baby feeding... unique) and we also noticed a large number of men on the street with not very many ladies around. However, this was all explained when we watched a Breast Cancer Awareness parade of what I would assume were several hundred ladies (at least) and a few supportive men walking down the street in either the t-shirt with the pink bra print or their own designed bras- and boy did they go all out on the decorations! There were ones that had lights attached, boa feathers, sequins- you name it, we saw it; thus, explaining the hoards of men on the street. It was a very bold statement though. There were all sorts of women supporting the cause, regardless of age and body type. This type of display would never get by in conservative Cincinnati. We just aren't ready for it. However, apparently the women in Scotland are much more empowered. Also, I think the presence of nude beaches across Europe takes the edge off walking around in a bra. Good for them, though (especially those brazen grandmas!).


Post parade, we continued on toward a "Reggae Club" that we had heard about from some people we met on our wanderings. We had to walk through a semi-sketchy area for a few blocks (remember the disclaimer... I walked with people and was conscious of my surroundings and my propensity to scare people with my menacing size and ferocity) until we arrived at the club. You only had to be 18 to enter, so for the first time in while [read: first time ever] I was not carded as I paid an unfortunately large cover. I was surprised at the dancing of the people inside- very unAmerican. They were just having a good time looking ridiculous and were not nearly as close to each other while dancing (TOTALLY different than a Winton Woods dance). I found it interesting that from my experience, European cultures do not care about others' personal space in general- they often bump into someone without apology or stand in what I find to be uncomfortably close proximity. Interestingly though, when dancing, they throw all of the out the window and just dance it up all by their lonesome.


I had somewhat of a discomforting situation with a Polish gentleman who originally wanted to dance with me (which was fine, considering the amount of personal space I maintained), but then kept talking about things that I just didn't want to hear about and wouldn't go away. However, the power of the group took over and I immersed myself with the wonderful women I was with until we left. I feel like the novelty of being in a new place did not change my mode of operations in this situation, because in is understood that there is a "save me" look anytime groups of girls go out, regardless of locale (sorry gentleman if you have ever encountered this).


I returned to the hostel and got myself into bed without turning on the lights (remembering the 5 year old counterparts). Most surprisingly, when I woke up somewhere around the 7 am hour, there was a man about my age sitting on the floor, leaning against the bed across the way! True to form, I thought, 'Oh that's strange' and calmly laid back down and went back to sleep. I woke up a few more times before I asked him what time it was (by then 8 a.m.) and then he and his lady friend (they both had ponytails and were dressed in all black- which I noticed A LOT of people in Scotland were wearing) left a little bit before Josie and I were to meet back up with our crew for breakfast. The whole 'guy in the room' experience was particularly unexpected because I thought the room we booked was supposed to be only females, but I was confusing the room I booked for later in the trip with the one Josie booked. In retrospect, I think the way the situation unfolded is the way I hope I deal with all unexpected or potentially uncomfortable situations on this trip- acknowledge (internally or externally) that the situation is not what you had in mind and then, provided no one is hurt, move on.


The biggest cultural differences I noticed between England and Scotland (keeping in mind that we were in Scotland only a day and have been in England only a week) was that the people were more laid back in Edinburgh than they have been in the smaller cities of England. The pubs we visited were much more of a relaxed feel, yet people were more apt to start up a conversation with you and were slightly friendly (not that I have had anyone be mean to me in England). One possible reason for this is that Edinburgh is slightly bigger and more touristy; whereas Haworth and Grantham (where Harlaxton is) are smaller towns that either get literary visitors (Haworth) or potentially less than polite college students (Grantham). I have still enjoyed my experiences thus far and will continue to do so!


3 comments:

  1. Your black and white photo is so beautiful! And your observations about how to deal with unexpected difficulties (calmly deal or get friends to bail you out) are so very functional. This capability of tranquility is a great thing to learn about yourself. I think the second graders may have contributed to this, albeit obliquely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and commentary, Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an awesome trip and I had so much fun with you! I especially enjoyed the breast cancer walk and our night out!

    ReplyDelete