Thursday, July 2, 2009

Back to School to Prove to Daddy I'm not a Fool... (#7)

Our class experiences have been very positive this trip. We had the chance to read the longer novels prior to our departure, making our group able to engage in intellectual discussions from the get-go. The course has been structured to take the reader from the Medieval Mindset, through the Gothic(s), through Romanticism, and end with Modernism (Urbanism). With each new period, we were able to discuss what was happening in the real world and intergrate the fields of literature and art into it. It gave it a much more holsitic and complete picture by placing the novels into context. From there, we were able to and another layer by physically viewing the landscapes written in the text. I find the enitre course concept intriguing (lucky, right?)- viewing the landscape's role in the literature as you read the text, then viewing the literature's role in the landscape as you visit it, and finally observing how the two have changed each other.


It has been so interesting to see the random, unplanned times that things from our class have come up- some of which are mentioned in other posts (Byron's quote on the bar window, Byronic moments) or when you suddenly see the Green Man everywhere (seriously.), laugh at the comments people have made about Maid Marian's NECESSARY place in the BBC version because she was such an integral part of the original (or not), or decide if I am having a Jane day or a Blanche day with my appearance (most days are more Jane, hate to say). I have especially enjoyed the freedom that comes with taking a class purely for fun. There are so many deeper layers to the text that comes out by having the chance to talk in depth with a group of intelligent women who are all excited about the literature (or are at least excited about the art that we talk about relating to the literature!).


This class has been different than my other experiences because of our ability to travel to the actual landscapes. With the text in mind, viewing the landscape takes on a whole new meaning. I think that this class and the cultural experiences will continue to change my thinking and improve my ability to be both a teacher and learner.

4 comments:

  1. Dear "Jane",

    I am totally enjoying your Europe trip!! I am enjoyed your insights on "literature & landscape". I will enjoy seeing all your pictures when you come home!

    Love & Prayers,
    Momma Scholl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Momma Scholl! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to hear that you enjoy taking a class "just for fun". That is best part about being a Recreational Student. I am a little chagrined to say that I learn more when I am a Recreational Student than a Matriculated Student. It's that pesky grade thing, which has a kind of albatross effect. It also seems that being a student helps being a teacher a lot. As part of my own faculty development, I try to take courses to be able to keep the student perspective fresh. I am pleased that you have liked the course: it is a high compliment coming from a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome trip! I'm so happy for you. Thanks for keeping us posted - all very interesting.
    Maria S.

    ReplyDelete